Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wk2 (-90911) Communication matter!

It is the second week of new school!  John make some progresses in school! 
Highlights:
  • Parents conferences indeed solve some of my questions.
  • He has 2 good friends now.

  • He is excited to tell me that he first time fell asleep in the nap time.

  • Physical education is his favorite course in school now.

  • He keeps the promise to go into the swimming pool on Thursday even though he feels the water is still too cold!

  • His ability in spelling phonetic symbols increased

  • He can read and check the homework communication book by himself with few of my help.
Challenges:
  • He is still think school is not fun!
  • He doesn't want to go out during the recess time. 
  • He need more time to build up disciplines.
Potential Reasons
  • Taiwan's education system may create more pressures to students compared to past.   I start to learn some of John's contents only when I was in middle school. 
  • Some teachers only accept one way of writing.  It makes John feel frustrated and confused.  He asked me why his way of writing is correct in past 3 year but now it's wrong.
  • John said the reason of not going out during the recess time is that outside is too hot.  I prefer to think that he need more time to adapt new environment.  When he studied in American school, he always goes outside an plays with friends during the recess time.  I never heard that he said that outside is too hot!
  • He is still used to American way of education-learning by playing and projects concepts.  It always try to find someone to play and I think it is good. 
Solutions
  • Align my reward system to the mentor. The teacher use circles & Xs as the major reward system to help kids set up disciplines.  If kids get 20 circle, they may exchange a small gift (pad or pencil etc...)
  • Tell John that what he learned in the past is correct. However, we are learning a new way of writing now.  He is excited to tell me that he know  3 ways of writing now.  In the same time, I also communicates with school teachers for the subject.
  • Constantly help him enhance mandarin ability.
  • Review past blog articles and other articles which may helpful.

No comments: